Archive for July 6th, 2017

Pacquiao backs call for WBO review of his loss to Horn

   Manny Pacquiao asked the WBO to act on a request by Philippine sports officials for a review of his welterweight world title loss to Jeff Horn, saying he didn’t want to see the boxing industry “dying because of unfair decision and officiating.”

While Pacquiao has accepted his defeat to Horn, who fought in his first world title bout in Sunday’s so-called “Battle of Brisbane,” the Philippine senator said in a statement Wednesday he had a “moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness.”

The 11-time world champion cited a request by the Philippines’ Games and Amusements Board, or GAB, to World Boxing Organization President Francisco Valcarcel for a thorough review of the refereeing and judging of the bout, which was staged outdoors in front of more than 51,000 fans at Suncorp Stadium.

  • A Filipino fan watches the WBO welterweight title bout in Brisbane, Australia between Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines and Jeff Horn of Australia which was beamed live via satellite Sunday, July 2, 2017 in suburban Marikina city, east of Manila, Philippines. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight world title to Horn in a stunning, unanimous points decision in the Sunday afternoon bout billed as the Battle of Brisbane. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

The WBO should take action on the Philippine request “so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said. “I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter, I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public.”

“I love boxing and I don’t want to see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” he said.

In their July 3 letter to Valcarcel, GAB chairman Abraham Kahlil Mitra and two other officials expressed concerns about ” the possible errors of the referee and the three judges who officiated the subject fight.”

“We … request for a thorough review by the WBO for possible miscalls of the referee where some deductions were not made and of the judges in their judging that have caused varying opinions on their objectivity,” the statement said.

Pacquiao’s trainers were critical of the referee for not doing more to stop or penalize head clashes and neck holds. They highlighted statistics that showed Pacquiao, who needed stitches to two cuts in his hairline that resulted from head clashes, landed twice as many punches.

Commentators from ESPN, which broadcast the fight live in the U.S., were among the most vocal critics of the outcome.

All three judges awarded it to Horn, with American Waleska Roldan’s 117-111 score attracting most of the criticism. U.S. judge Chris Flores and Ramon Cerdan of Argentina each scored it much closer at 115-113.

Top Rank promotor Bob Arum said it was a “close fight. It could have gone either way.”

Pacquiao had a rematch clause in the contract, meaning the 38-year-old Filipino could negotiate to fight Horn again before the end of the year.

Horn won the majority of the early rounds on all judge’s cards, but Pacquaio rallied and had opportunities to end the fight in the 9th when he had the Australian schoolteacher wobbling and on the ropes. Horn recovered and won the next round, setting up a battle of attrition in the two closing rounds.

A boy flashes the thumbs down sign as Filipino fans react to the loss of Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines to Jeff Horn of Australia in their WBO welterweight title bout in Brisbane, Australia, as they watch the live via satellite broadcast Sunday, July 2, 2017 in suburban Marikina city, east of Manila, Philippines. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight world title to Horn in a stunning, unanimous points decision in the Sunday afternoon bout billed as the Battle of Brisbane. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

The WBO published a photo of the judge’s cards on its Twitter account on Sunday night, and followed up on the GAB request for an inquest with another post on Wednesday that said: “The discretion of a referee or judge cannot be reversed, except in a case of fraud or violation of laws which is not the case in Pac vs Horn.”

Pacquiao entered the fight with a record of 59-6-2, but the last of his 38 wins by knockout was in 2009. Horn hadn’t lost any of his previous 17 professional fights, but had never encountered anybody with Pacquiao’s credentials.

Philippine officials organized a free public viewing of the bout in southern Marawi city, to give thousands of displaced residents, troops and police a respite from a disastrous siege by Islamic militants that has turned parts of the city into a smoldering war zone.

The Filipinos cheered for their boxing hero, but fell silent when the decision was announced. Marawi crisis committee spokesman Zia Alonto Adiong said then that many could not accept the outcome but he added that the momentary entertainment was a relief and that Pacquiao provided a crucial message of courage and resiliency to the war-weary residents and troops.

Kylie Jenner changed the tattoo she had on her ankle that proved her love to ex-boyfriend Tyga. In this photo, the lip kit mogul poses at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala – Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garcons: Art of the In-Between event in New York City on May 1, 2017.

There is no more going back to Tyga as Kylie Jenner modified the “T” tattoo on her ankle and changed it to the word “la.”

Jenner was in London on Monday night, where she showed off her new “la” tattoo in the place where she used to have a lowercase “T” ink, according to the Daily Mail.

The change marked a huge step in Jenner’s romantic journey, since she and Tyga have called it quits and got back together for several times now over the past few years. They broke up for good last March, and Jenner began dating another rapper, Travis Scott.

Jenner and Scott even got matching butterfly tattoos on their ankles on June 12. A family insider told Us Weekly that things are getting pretty “serious” between the two, and it helps that the rest of the family approve of their relationship. “They are spending a lot of time together. They’re serious! She’s really into him and has known him for a long time. Her family really likes him,” the insider said, adding that even her older sister Kendall Jenner approves. “Kendall has also been friends with him for years.”

Neither Jenner nor Tyga revealed the cause of their breakup, but many fans suspect it was because of the rapper’s tendency to be unfaithful. Back in November 2015, the former couple parted ways because Tyga went behind the lip kit mogul’s back. “She’s caught him lying and talking to other girls behind her back before, and this was the last straw,” one source told People, adding that Jenner “feels super betrayed and is just so pissed off, damaged and hurt about it.”

But maybe Tyga is still holding out hope that he and Jenner would get back together again, since he released his new single “Playboy” on June 3. Many fans thought of Jenner when they heard the song, since it’s about a girl who can’t stay away from a playboy.

The lyrics go: “She a superstar / She got it bad for me / If I hang up, she call right back to me / You cut her legs off / She crawls right back to me / I call it playboy tenacity.”

Do you think Jenner and Tyga are over for good? Share your opinion in the comments.

Alexandre Lacazette completes move to Arsenal

Alexandre Lacazette signs for Arsenal  

Alexandre Lacazette has been announced as Arsenal’s latest signing, with the club confirming his arrival from Lyon.

Lacazette is understood to have become the Gunners’ record transfer, with the fee understood to be in the region of £46 million.

The club confirmed the news on Wednesday, indicating that that the French striker has agreed a long-term contract with the north London outfit.

“Alexandre Lacazette has agreed to join us on a long-term contract, for an undisclosed fee,” read a statement posted on the official Arsenal website.

Alexandre Lacazette Arsenal GFX

“He is expected to travel with the tour party to Sydney this weekend and is likely to make his home debut in the Emirates Cup on July 29 or July 30.

“The deal is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.”

The 26-year-old, who scored 37 goals in 45 appearances for Lyon last season, underwent a medical at London Colney on Tuesday, and eclipses Mesut Ozil – who cost £42.5m – as the most expensive purchase the Premier League club have made.

With hopes of signing Monaco’s Kylian Mbappe – a Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain target – fading, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger managed to convince another of Ligue 1’s star forwards to play at the Emirates Stadium.

Lyon club president Jean-Michel Aulas, who sanctioned the transfer on Sunday, has previously said the Premier League side must part with €65m to prise Lacazette away from Parc Olympique Lyonnais and the newly agreed deal includes bonuses worth £6m.

France international Lacazette was close to joining Atletico Madrid before the Spanish club’s transfer ban was upheld and Aulas confirmed via French news outlet Le Progres that Wenger’s side that the move is closer to €50m (£44m/$57m) rather than an “unrealistic” €65m (£57m/$74m).

Lacazette reveals inspiration behind Arsenal move

Lacazette reveals inspiration behind 'dream' Arsenal switch

The French striker claims he will realise a childhood dream by playing for the Gunners and trying to emulate his country’s greatest

Alexandre Lacazette hopes to follow in the footsteps of Thierry Henry at Arsenal after becoming the Premier League club’s record signing.

Lacazette completed his much-anticipated switch from Lyon to Emirates Stadium on Wednesday for a fee reported to be in the region of €60million.

The 26-year-old France striker has long followed Arsenal’s progress from his homeland due to the exploits of Henry and other Les Bleus stars in London.

“I am, of course. delighted and very proud too because Arsenal is a legendary club,” Lacazette, who admires the club’s “stability” under Arsene Wenger, told the Gunners’ official website.

“Throughout my childhood, thanks to Thierry Henry and other French players, I always dreamed of playing for this club so that dream has been fulfilled.

“[I like] Arsenal’s past – I like clubs with a history. Also the fact that the manager has been here for a while shows it is a stable club, which I like.

Lacazette

“In addition, there are quite a few French players here, which makes it easier to settle in.

“In my opinion, Arsenal is also the club that plays the best football in England so I really wanted to play here.

Lacazette arrives in the Premier League after a prolific return of 37 goals across 45 matches in 2016-17 helped Lyon to fourth place in Ligue 1 and a run to the semi-finals of the Europa League.

“When I play I like to use my pace to link up with my team-mates. As a forward, I like to score goals of course, but that not all that I’m about,” he said when discussing his style of play.

“Every time I take a shot at goal it’s because I believe I can score. I don’t just shoot for the sake of it.

“I also try to keep as calm as possible. All that is achieved by a lot of hard work in training.”

Lacazette added: “I want to give 100 per cent in every match. I want to show I’m worthy of the shirt. I want to do everything I can to make sure we win titles.”

%d bloggers like this: