Posts Tagged ‘Federal Government’

Sallah fall out: Federal Government closes Lagos-Ibadan road on Saturday

It has been gathred that the busy road in the South West Region of Nigeria, Lagos Ibadan Express Way will be shut down this Saturday 3rd August 2019.

Information revealed that despite concerns raised by motorists and other road users, the Federal Government has said there is no going back on the four-month planned partial closure of sections of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway for reconstruction.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Mr Adedamola Kuti, said on Sunday the planned partial closure starting from August 3 would not be postponed even with the next month’s Sallah holiday trips and other religious activities that would increase traffic on the road.

According to him, the aim is to complete that portion of the road before Christmas when the traffic is expected to be heavier.

“What we are doing is to finish the project before Christmas when more people will be travelling. We are not closing the road totally; we are providing routes where people will follow and once everyone is patient, everything will go well,” he said.

The Federal Road Safety Corps had last week notified the public that Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, the construction company handling rehabilitation work on Section 1 of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, had given notification of its plan to commence intensive work on the Berger-Kara end of the road on August 3, and would close some sections for four months

FG declares Tuesday, May 29th public holiday

Image result for mo buhariIt has been reported that the Federal Government has declared Tuesday, May 29, as public holiday to celebrate the 2018 Democracy Day.

Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen Abdulrahman Dambazau, made the declaration on Friday in Abuja on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued by Dr M. Umar the Permanent Secretary.

Dambazau congratulated Nigerians on the occasion and pledged government’s continued dedication to entrenching democracy in the country. He also urged all Nigerians to trust and support the government in its commitment to building an indivisible, peaceful and greater nation based on the tenets of democracy.

The Minister wished all Nigerians a Happy Democracy Day celebration.

Trending: Fed Govt, El-Rufai to Igbo: ignore quit order

Image result for El-RufaiAs a result of some youths in the Northern parts of Nigeria that threatened Igbos to quit their territory, the Federal Government last night warned Nigerians against making statements capable of undermining the country’s peace and security.

The warning came after the ultimatum issued by some  youth groups in the North for the Igbo to leave by October or face a mass action.

They also informed northerners living in the East to return home.

The signatories to the declaration by the group are: Nastura Ashir Sharif of Arewa Citizens Action For Change; Shettima Yerima of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum; Aminu Adam of Arewa Youth Development Foundation; Alfred Solomon of Arewa Students Forum; Abdul-Azeez Suleiman of Northern Emancipation Network; Joshua Viashman of Northern Youth Vanguard; Mohammad A.  Mohammad of Northern Youth Stakeholders Forum; Mohammed Tasiu Pantami of North East Assembly and Nathaniel Ajegena Adigizi of North Central People’s Front.

The groups claimed that they were incensed by the activities of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) and the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) which have repeatedly called for a break-up of the country without being cautioned by the elders from the region.

The groups said they were further angered by the May 30 shut down of the South East by the separatist group to mark the 50th anniversary of the Biafra declaration.

But general condemnation yesterday greeted the Arewa groups’ action.

Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed in a statement said Nigerians were “free to reside in any part of  the country, as the government has the capacity to maintain law and order.

“He said there was no reason for any Nigerian to feel unsafe anywhere in the country, warning that the government would not tolerate any threat to the unity, peace and security of the country under any guise.

”There is zero tolerance for actions and speeches capable of inciting one part of the country against another, and the security agencies are fully on the ground to deal decisively with any individual or group that engages in incendiary activities.”

Mohammed advised Nigerians, irrespective of where they reside, to go about their daily activities without fear.

Nnamdi Kanu may return to jail -FG

Image result for Nnamdi KanuAccording to Punch, the Federal Government may ask the Federal High Court in Abuja to revoke the bail granted to the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, on grounds of alleged breach of the conditions of the bail granted him in April.

Sources in the Federal Ministry of Justice, the body prosecuting the IPOB leader said on the condition of anonymity because they had no authority to speak to journalists on the matter, that alleged breaches of the bail conditions by Kanu were being noted.

Coruption:Court orders forfeiture of Yakubu’s $9.8m, £74,000

A Federal High Court sitting in Kano presided over by Justice Zainab B. Abubakar, Tuesday, has ordered the forfeiture of the sum of $9,772,000 (Nine Million, Seven Hundred and Seventy Two Thousand United States Dollars) and £74,000 (Seventy Four Thousand Pound Sterling) recovered from a former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Mr. Andrew Yakubu to the Federal Government. Yakubu, ex-NNPC GMD hides $9.8m loot in Kaduna slum According to a press release signed by Wilson Uwujaren EFCC Head Media & Publicity the order was sequel to an ex parte application by the EFCC seeking an interim forfeiture of the recovered money to the Federal Government. The ex parte application was moved by Salihu Sani, counsel for the applicant. In her ruling, Justice Zainab held “That the sum of $9,772,000 (Nine Million, Seven Hundred and Seventy Two Thousand United States Dollars) and £74,000 (Seventy Four Thousand Pound Sterling) which are now in the custody of the applicant (EFCC) are in the interim forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.” It would be recalled that, on the 3rd day of February, 2017, operatives of the Commission had stormed a building belonging to the former NNPC boss and recovered a staggering sum of $9,772,000 (Nine Million, Seven Hundred and Seventy Two Thousand United States Dollars) and £74,000 (Seventy Four Thousand Pound Sterling) stashed in a huge fire proof safe. On February 8, 2017, Yakubu reported to the Commission’s Kano Zonal Office where he admitted being the owner of both the house and the money recovered. Yakubu is still in custody assisting the investigation. 14th February, 2017

Avengers disagree over planned dialogue with FG

Niger Delta AvengersNiger – Delta boys are not smiling as you are reading this. The Niger Delta Avengers on Wednesday appeared divided over whether or not to engage in a dialogue with the Federal Government over the crisis in the geopolitical zone.

While a self-acclaimed spokesperson for the Avengers, Mr. Ballantyne Agiri, said in a statement on Wednesday that the NDA was ready to enter into dialogue with the Federal Government for a possible ceasefire in the region, the Avengers in a counter-statement by Mudoch Agbinibo, denied the claim.

Agiri had in a statement mailed to one of our correspondents in Jos, the Plateau State capital on Wednesday, said that it had constituted a contact and dialogue group to engage the Federal Government in meaningful dialogue as part of the initiatives to resolve the crisis.

Agiri said that the group was determined to come out with results that would yield a lasting peace, equity, justice and harmony among all ethnic nationalities in Nigeria.

While urging Nigerians and the international community to follow developments on the issue closely and watch out for which side would violate the terms, rules and spirit of the dialogue, Agiri said, “The body has collectively and willingly agreed to heed the clarion call of eminent Nigerians and international community to hold dialogue with the Federal Government.”

The statement added, “The Federal Government should from the inception of the dialogue rule out from the agenda any monthly monetary inducement or stipend for the NDA.

“The Federal Government should be ready for structural changes that should be human and development-oriented.

“Members of the Avengers’ group (who will participate in the dialogue) have already been selected, each based on his integrity, forthrightness, honesty and life track records.”

The group said that the names of members of the group for now would not be made public for personal reasons, until they begin functioning in few days ahead.

But the spokesman for the NDA, Agbinibo, while replying an enquiry by one of our correspondents, dismissed the idea, saying there was no iota of truth in Agiri’s claim.

It stressed that, “We are not going into any peace or dialogue talk.”

It added, “That report is not from us. We are not in any form of dialogue agreement with anybody. It’s like the government wants to dialogue with themselves.”

The group later went on to their twitter handle, operated by the spokesperson, Agbinibo, to also deny the purported agreement for talks.

The NDA also denied knowing Agiri, saying, “Who is Mr. Ballantyne Agiri, the claimed dialogue group spokesman? We don’t know you. And please, stop fooling the general public.

“We are not ready for any negotiation or dialogue with the Federal Government.”

The militant group has claimed responsibility for major attacks on oil facilities in the region in recent times.

Agiri had in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja claimed that the group had agreed to enter into a dialogue with the Federal Government.

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the Presidency, on Wednesday said dialogue had always been an option by the Federal Government in its efforts aimed at resolving the crisis in the Niger Delta.

“Dialogue had always been an option in resolving the Niger Delta issue,” the Presidential spokesman said.

(Trending News)Mass Sack, FG chase NTA, NOA, others’ DGs

To some people this is bad news, but to some Nigerians, this is good news as Federal Government sacked the Directors General of Nigeria Television Authority, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Voice of Nigeria, News Agency of Nigeria, Nigerian Broadcasting Commission and the National Orientation Agency.

The disengagement was announced in a statement by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed this morning, Monday.

“The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, announced the disengagement during a meeting he held with the Chief Executives of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), Voice of Nigeria (VON), News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and the National Orientation Agency (NOA) on Monday,” revealed the statement, which was also posted on the Facebook page of the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

“The Minister directed the disengaged Chief Executives to hand over to the most senior officials in their various establishments.”

He thanked them for their service to the nation and wished them the best of luck in their future endeavours.

The affected Chief Executives are the Directors-General of NTA, Mr. Sola Omole; FRCN, Mr. Ladan Salihu; VON, Mr. Sam Worlu; NOA, Mr. Mike Omeri; NBC, Mr. Emeka Mba; and the Managing Director of NAN, Mr. Ima Niboro.

%d bloggers like this: